Under section 42.4 of the Quebec Professional Code, the Order Board of Directors may, via special authorization, grant a person legally authorized to practice their profession outside Quebec permission, to use a title reserved for members of the Order or to perform professional acts in Quebec that are reserved for them.

Such authorization is valid only for acts or titles specified in the authorization. In addition, the authorization specifies the person or groups of persons on whose behalf acts may be performed, as well as any other applicable conditions or restrictions. It is valid for a maximum period of one year and is renewable. 

Who must request special authorization?

  • Those serving as trainers, instructors, or participants in a training activity taking place in Quebec and requiring intervention with patients.
  • Persons serving as consultants.
  • Persons intervening in person or virtually with clients.
  • Persons wishing to use the title reserved for OOAQ members, i.e. audiologist or speech-language pathologist.

Why is special authorisation required?

The Quebec Professional Code stipulates, in section 36m), that no person in any way whatsoever shall “’use the title “Speech Therapist” , “Speech-Language Pathologist” or “Audiologist” or any other title or abbreviation which may lead to the belief that he is a speech therapist, speech-language pathologist or an audiologist, or initials which may lead to the belief that he is a speech therapist or audiologist, unless he holds a valid permit for that purpose and is entered on the roll of the Ordre des orthophonistes et audiologistes du Québec.”

In addition, no one may perform the reserved acts specified in section 37.1 of the Professional Code.

Therefore, it is mandatory to obtain special authorization from the OOAQ in order to use the titles or perform reserved act.

When must an application for special authorization be submitted?

When applicants foresee the need to work with clients.

If the professional acts stipulated within the territory of the province of Quebec involve intervention with clients, the Order requires, at all times, for reasons related to the protection of the public, that the person in question submit an application for special authorization in order to be allowed to perform the professional acts.

When applicants do not foresee having to work with clients.

For occasional acts performed within a limited scope of a specific activity (conference, symposium, etc.) not involving any intervention with clients, the Order is not opposed to a person legally authorized to practice the profession of speech-language pathologist or audiologist outside Quebec designating themselves as an audiologist or speech-language pathologist. However, they, or the persons or organizations designating them as such, must specify the recognized professional regulatory organization for speech-language pathologists or audiologists--or, if such an organization does not exist, the national organization representative of the profession--to which they belong.

For example, the person may be designated as: “John Handfield, audiologist, member of the College of Audiologists and Speech-language Pathologists of Ontario” or “Sandrine Delmas, speech-language pathologist, member of the Fédération nationale des orthophonistes de France. In such cases, these individuals are not required to apply to the Order.

What is the duration of the special authorization?

The term of the special authorization may not exceed 12 months and may only be renewed by the Board of Directors.

What are the costs?

Once your application has been accepted, an invoice will be issued. You will be informed by email of the applicable fees and payment method. Your special authorization will be delivered after payment has been received.

The fees charged cover the processing of your application and the duration of the special authorization. They are non-refundable. To these costs, a subscription to professional liability insurance may be added, depending on your situation. Please refer to the section below "Is liability insurance required?" for more information.

Is liability insurance required?

Anyone holding special authorization must be covered by professional liability insurance that fulfills the conditions set out in the Règlement sur l’assurance de la responsabilité professionnelle de l’Ordre des orthophonistes et audiologistes du Québec (“Regulation respecting professional liability insurance of the Ordre des orthophonistes et audiologistes du Québec”, in French only).

The Order may require:

  • Formal confirmation from your insurer specifying explicitly that your professional liability insurance actually covers the professional activities required, for the entire length of your stay in Quebec, for a minimum amount of $3,000,000.


  • That you purchase, through our insurer, Beneva assurances générales, temporary professional liability insurance covering the professional acts described in your special authorization document for the period in question. This policy costs $54.50 (taxes included).

To obtain the special authorization application form or for any additional questions or information, please contact our admissions team by telephone at 514-282-9123, Extension 349 or email at

Documents required for special authorization

Applicants must send the following documents to the Order:

  1. The completed special authorization application form.

  2. Proof of professional liability insurance, or an additional amount of $54.50, to purchase temporary professional liability insurance from Beneva, as the case may be. This amount is in addition to the fees required for the special authorization, depending on its duration.

  3. Official attestation from the regulatory body overseeing the practice of the speech-language pathology or audiology profession or, if such organization does not exist, the national representative organization deemed equivalent in the location where the person practices, to the effect that they are a member in good standing.

    The attestation must specify:

    1. That the member is not subject to any disciplinary measure or sanction that would limit or suspend their right to practice;
    2. The class of permit (for example, active, inactive, regular, retired, etc.).
  4. An abridged version of their curriculum vitae.

  5. The program of activities (colloquium, conference, course load or clinical intensive), if available.

  6. Persons who are not members of a regulatory body must provide a certified true copy of each diploma they have obtained in order to practice their profession.

  7. If a document sent in support of an application for special authorization is written in a language other than French or English, the applicant must also provide a French or English translation of the document.

After approval of the special authorization, payment of fees can be done by cheque (send cheques payable to OOAQ) or credit card (to use this method, please email: